These days most of us have active profiles on multiple social apps. Connecting your other accounts is supported on apps like TikTok, where you can also add your Instagram and YouTube. This post shows you how to do it so you can bring more visitors to your Instagram and also cross-post with ease.
How to link your TikTok to Instagram
Before we begin, we need to note one thing: while it’s possible to link your TikTok to your Instagram account, you won’t be able to do it the other way around, meaning you can’t add your TikTok to the Instagram app. Instagram only allows you to link a Facebook or Meta account to it, so it’s a bit restrictive in that regard.
- Advertisement -
Second, you’ll need to use the TikTok app for Android or iOS to connect the two accounts, as this can’t be done from a PC. Follow the steps below to link your accounts.
- Open the TikTok app and log in with your credentials (if you haven’t already).
- Press the “Profile” button at the bottom of the display.
- On your profile page, tap “Edit Profile” under your Followers/Following Stats.
- At the bottom of the display, you will notice the “Social” section. Here you can add your Instagram or YouTube account. Tap on Instagram.
- You will be taken to a login screen where you will be asked to add your credentials for the Instagram account you wish to link.
- TikTok asks permission to receive your Instagram profile information on the next screen. Press “Allow”.
- Your Instagram account should be visible on the “Edit Profile” screen.
- If you visit your profile, you will be able to see a small icon of the Instagram logo next to the “Add friends” button. Every user who liked their Instagram account on their TikTok profile will get the same logo on their profile (or YouTube logo, if they only chose to link their YouTube account).
- If you press the icon, you will be directed directly to the user’s Instagram profile. If the person has also linked their YouTube account, you’ll see a pop-up appear at the bottom that lets you tap on the profile you’re interested in.
How to disconnect your TikTok from your Instagram
If you decide you no longer want your TikTok connected to your Instagram, it’s easy to disconnect the two. Go back to steps #1 to #4 from the previous section. Tap Instagram and you will see a pop-up warning you that “Your Instagram link will be removed from your profile”. Tap “Confirm” and the account will be removed from your profile. It’s that simple.
How to post on TikTok and Instagram at the same time
Having your Instagram account on your TikTok profile can earn you more followers on the Meta-owned app, but linking the two together also has another major benefit: cross-posting. You can automatically share your TikTok posts directly to Instagram. We show you how in the following steps.
If you just created a video, follow these steps to share your TikTok video on Instagram from the creation screen.
- Open the TikTok app.
- Tap the “+” button below to start shooting a new video.
- Alternatively, upload a video from your gallery.
- Once you have the video, hit the red checkmark below.
- If you want to edit the video, you can do it on the next screen.
- Once you are satisfied, press “Next”.
- Look at the bottom of the display on the “Mail” screen. You’ll notice more buttons under “Automatically share with.” While you can’t connect your Facebook to TikTok, there is an option to automatically share with the app as well as with WhatsApp. The other two options are dedicated to Instagram.
- Press the first option if you want to send the video via Direct Message or turn it into Reel or Story. The other button automatically creates a Story.
- Once you’ve made your selection, tap “Publish.”
- While your TikTok video is uploading, you’ll see a message at the top that says, “We’re redirecting you to Instagram to share your video.”
Note: You must be logged in on your phone with the Instagram account where you want to post the TikTok video.
- Once TikTok has finished loading, a popup will appear at the bottom asking you to select how you want to share it on Instagram (if you selected the first Instagram button while on TikTok’s “Posts” screen). Alternatively, if you have opted for the second button, it will directly generate an Instagram story.
- The Story of Reel will automatically generate on Instagram.
- The Instagram video will feature the TikTok watermark with the app logo and your account name.
If you want to share an old TikTok video (which is already on your profile) on Instagram, follow the instructions below:
- Open the video in question in the TikTok app.
- Press the three dots to the right.
- Select “Stories”, “Instagram Direct” or simply “Instagram” from the options that appear at the bottom.
- Choosing the latter option will allow you to share the video as a Reel as well.
- As above, the video will feature the TikTok watermark.