One of the most common aspects of life is hunger. Whether it’s crying out for food in the middle of the night, or the simple yearning for nutrients, hunger is a natural occurrence. Many have commented on both the physical and metaphorical implications of hunger, giving us a unique view into their lives and relation to the world. Here we’ve compiled some of the best hunger quotes from authors and poets to philosophers and politicians.
Beginning with a quote by author David Mitchell, “A one-sided hunger is the most destructive, though not the most painful”, it provides a unique, metaphorical point that alludes to the idea of an unjust, unbalanced world. Furthermore, it implies that the desire and need for something, when not met, can be even more damaging than experiencing the sensation of hunger itself.
Bob Marley’s, “My future is righteousness” sums up the concept of fighting for the needs of the people, and the idea of pushing through the ache of physical hunger, in order to obtain true and lasting nourishment. Marley’s fighting statement gives us the encouragement to push ahead, and gives us the mindset shift from physical needs to holistic nourishing.
French poet Marcel Proust paints a vivid scene with “Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls bloom.” The beauty of the message comes through its metaphor of the struggle and work it takes to nurture the spirit of one’s soul and the thankfulness that comes with those who have the skill to do so.
Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Dag Hammarskjold encourages us to recognize the intrinsic fact of life, “For all that has been — thanks. For all that shall be — yes.” With this, we gain a better understanding of our life’s complexities, as well as the idea that while living can often cause a sensation of physical hunger, what really sets us apart from animals is the ability to live with an emotional nourishment that is gratifying.
Lastly, French author, Molière, speaks to the idea of feeding our hunger for knowledge, with “It is not only meat and drink that nourish life. It is motion, and air, and exercise, and in due measure and combinations of all these that make up the real sustenance of life.” Molière’s words remind us that living fully comes from not only physical qualities of hunger, but mental and spiritual qualities as well.
In conclusion, these hunger quotes provide us with a better understanding of our relationship to hunger and how different people have chosen to approach it. Whether it’s to fight for what’s right, or to nourish our souls, these words serve as motivation and reminders of the importance of understanding our hunger, in all its forms.
50+ Best Hunger Quotes
Hunger is a powerful emotion, often used throughout literature and art to convey a powerful feeling or message. Here’s a collection of inspiring and thought-provoking hunger quotes that celebrate the emotion of hunger and all that it stands for.
1. “Hunger is the best sauce in the world.” – Miguel De Cervantes
2. “HUNGER is not only the best sauce, it is the most healthful.” – Benjamin Franklin
3. “Hunger is the best seasoning.” – Benjamin Franklin
4. “Hunger does not exist in a vacuum. It is a symptom of poverty, a manifestation of inequality, a contributor to instability.” – Kofi Annan
5. “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”- Jesus
6. “I believe that if a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears the beat of a different drummer.” -Henry David Thoreau
7. “Hunger knows no law other than to satisfy itself.” – Unknown
8. “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed.” – Dwight Eisenhower
9. “You must not under any pretense allow your mind to dwell on any thought that is not positive, constructive, optimistic, kind.” – Emmet Fox
10. “Hunger can stop you from taking in the world.” – Jessica Sorensen
11. “Hunger isn’t just an inconvenience. It’s torture. It makes you do things you would never do in ordinary life.” – Stephen King
12. “One of the greatest pains to human nature is the pain of a longing in a appeased hunger.” – Benjamin Franklin
13. “We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life would be violent and all would be lost.” – Charlie Chaplin
14. “Hunger does not belie, nor does it discriminate.” – Unknown
15. “When the stomach is empty, the body becomes weak.” – African Proverb
16. “When the belly is empty, all words are hasty.” – Proverbs
17. “Hunger is the best seasoning.” – Anonymous
18. “Hunger is the greatest social evil.” – Mahatma Gandhi
19. “Where there is hunger, there is bitterness and anger.” – Chinese Proverb
20. “Hunger is a great motivator.” – Unknown
21. “When you are full of food, you think of nothing else.” – African Proverb
22. “Satisfy your hunger, and then you can think of other things.” – Spanish Proverb
23. “Hunger is the main cause of wars.” – Che Guevara
24. “A hungry stomach has no ears.” – Dutch Proverb
25. “Hunger always brings people together.” – Unknown
26. “ Hunger makes the wolf bigger.” – Dutch Proverb
27. “ Hunger breeds bitter herbs.” – Spanish Proverb
28. “No one can think straight when hungry.” – African Proverb
29. “Hunger is not felt in a full stomach.” – Arabic Proverb
Other Inspiring Hunger Quotes
- 30. “The greatest enemy of human hope is not starvation, it is abundance.” ― John Steinbeck
- 31. “No one is truly free, until all are free.” ― Nelson Mandela
- 32. “You may have the universe if I may have Italy.” ― Giuseppe Verdi
- 33. “Give thanks for a little and you will find a lot.”
- 34. “Hunger and love are the only two things that can shake the human soul and inspire it.” ― Nikola Tesla
- 35. “Hunger is the awful reminder of our common humanity.” ― Muhammad Yunas
- 36. “Hunger itself is not the worst of evils.” ― Thomas Hobbes
- 37. “Hunger is the most ingenuous of all political arguments.” ― Auguste Comte
- 38. “The best way to fight hunger is by fighting poverty.” ― Kofi Annan
- 39. “Hunger is a classic tool of oppression.” ― Bryant McGill
- 40. “The best way to fight hunger is not to fight it, but to understand it.” ― Bill Gates
- 41. “Hunger is the greatest evil.” ― Unknown
- 42. “The best way to fight hunger is to create jobs.” ― Barack Obama
- 43. “No one should go to bed hungry.” ― Unknown
- 44. “We must strive to feed all those who are hungry.” ― Unknown
- 45. “Hunger is a cruel and powerful force.” ― Unknown
- 46. “Everyone needs someone who understands hunger.” ― Unknown
- 47. “Hunger can make us do terrible things.” ― Unknown
- 48. “Hunger can turn us into monsters.” ― Unknown
- 49. “Poverty and hunger are not chosen by the poor.” ― Unknown
- 50. “We all have a stake in fighting hunger.” ― Unknown
- 51. “Hunger knows no boundaries.” ― Unknown
Hunger is a powerful emotion, and these quotes serve to remind us that hunger is a real struggle that many face every day. It’s important to remember that we all have a role to play in fighting hunger and making the world a better place for everyone.